Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The decision is…

Well it has been another exciting day, especially around 3pm when they called me from England. I was really happy that they offered me the job. That meant I had two options. Option 1: Stay here in Oslo, Norway or option 2: Move to Manchester, England.

It was a really hard decision to make. I put up lists and consulted friends and family, but in the end, the decision was mine. I chose Manchester, England. Some were disappointed by my decision, and some were delighted. I think I have made the right choice. The positive thing about the job in Norway was:

- Higher wages
- Safety/Security
- Pension points
- Don’t need to move
- Job is probably more varied and exciting
- Close to family and friends

The positive things about England was:

- Location (Only 1 hour from my favorite football team Liverpool)
- Possibilities (They have a nice office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia that is a possibility for me)
- Low taxes (22-25%)
- Low living cost
- Huge company (Shell has hundred thousands of employees worldwide, they’re not going bankrupt anytime soon)
- Climate (Much warmer than Oslo and also much less rain)

I think it was the climate thing that tipped it over and also because my team Liverpool won the semifinal of the Champions League yesterday. To be in Liverpool when the final is playing will be amazing. The final is in Athens, but they will probably show it outside on big screens with thousands of people.

So my new employer is Shell in Manchester, England. The new adventures of my life is starting soon. I will move there sometime within the next two weeks. I am so excited and happy right now! It’s a great decision on my part and I will love it!

No comments: