Monday, June 25, 2007

The fun begins now


In recent years, I've become a pretentious prick going on and on about how Tom Cruise really can't act (Sorry Cruise fans). Not only that, but I can smell a plot hole a mile away. All of this is ruining the fun of watching movies. The fact is, I really like Cruise and his work. But this isn't a post about him, neither is it about horror movies even though I will talk about it in the next few paragraphs.

You see, my big sister just loves horror movies and she used to scare me when I was little and forced me to watch them with her. Not so much forcing, but still. I remember I was hiding behind the pillows for the really scary stuff, but I was so fascinated by all these 80s horror movies, the demons and all this imagination. I secretly became a fan and names like Carpenter, Craven and King kept popping up during my childhood and beyond.

Now Freddie Kruger, there's a character. When I watch the movies now they are really fun to watch, but not really scary anymore. That's ok, because as I grow older, there are other things that scare me more, like white Japanese girls with long black hair. Michael Myers, Jason, those characters are all flawed, and the movies they were in didn't have the greatest stories or the best actors, but it was just pure popcorn fun.

I realized on Saturday that I have forgotten to watch movies for fun. All I want these days are content and great stories with great actors. I want something to think about. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes me a boring person. I haven't really watched many horror movies in recent years and I decided to do something about it so I watched Hostel, The Hills Have Eyes, When A Stranger Calls and Pulse.

I started with Hostel which really blew. I was so disappointed, but mostly in myself who kept killing it with my brain. I think too much. But then I watched The Hills Have Eyes and the fun slowly started coming back again. I really enjoyed it. When A Stranger Calls was great. None of these were really scary, but I had fun. I just watched Pulse and it is better than the reviews it has gotten. I didn't like the ending, but still a good movie. I have made a list of movies I am going to see: Dominon (Sequel to the exorcist), Hide and Seek, The Descent, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Bug, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, The Covenant, The Grudge 2, 1408, 28 Days Later, Captivity, Grindhouse, The Hills Have Eyes 2, The Messengers, The Reaping, White Noise 2. Any others I should add to that list?

All I wanna do is enjoy myself now and then. Not be Mr. Serious all of the time. Life should be entertaining, so have fun while living it!

No comments: