Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Dark Room

I was looking on the net to find some inspiration, because I wanted to write a new blog. I read a lot of inspiring articles, but I still didn't feel like writing anything. But on one of these articles I came across a list of things to help with productive writing. One of those points were no distractions. It's a fair point. If you had no distractions whatsoever, then writing would be much easier. But how do you do that? Well you can close off all IM windows, internet access, anything that might prove to be a distraction. For some people, like myself, that is just not enough. There are still a lot of things I can do instead of writing. I am the master of procrastination after all.

Then I saw a point called Dark Room. That was unusual, I thought. Isn't that some kind of photography lab? It turns out it is a small piece of software which you can get here that simply removes all distractions from your screen. It just opens a black screen in full screen mode and all you can do is write. It's simple and brilliant. It's also free, which is just great. It's configurable too so you can choose background color and font color. Right now I am using the standard one which is black background and a green font. It feels like typing on old computer terminals with 4 colors. I find it relaxing and nice. So now all I have to do is find something to write about, like the letter "J".

I am talking about the "J" button on my keyboard. I've noticed that I have to press it a little harder than all the other keys (yes I've tested them all). Does that mean I've used the letter "J" more than any other letter? Sounds a bit strange unless I sit all day enjoying writing my name: Jorn, jorn, jOrn, joRn, jorN. Ok I'll stop now, but you get my point. Maybe I should change my name to Orn or something like that since I can't write my name as easily as before? Then again maybe not.

No comments: